The Rural Life Centre, Tilford

The Rural Life Centre is a museum of past village life covering the years from 1750 to 1960. It is set in over ten acres of garden and woodland and housed in purpose-built and reconstructed buildings including a 30 seater chapel, village hall, an 1883 cricket pavilion and 1909 corrugated iron
schoolroom plus a 1947 Arcon prefab.

Displays show village crafts and trades such as wheelwrighting of which the centre‘s collection is probably the finest in the country. An historic village playground provides entertainment for children as does a preserved narrow gauge light railway which operates on Sundays.

The accredited museum sits among 100 species of trees from around the world collected together by the museum’s founder, Henry Jackson, and has an extensive programme of annual events. The museum café serves light lunches and refreshments all day, and the shop has souvenirs, gifts and a wide range of books about country life and crafts.

Here is a video tour of the The Rural Life Centre:

Admission:

Adults £8.50; Over 60s £7.50; Children (5—16) £6.00 (under fives free); Family (2 adults + 2 children) £26

Location:

Three miles south of Farnham, Surrey, off the A287 midway between Frensham and Tilford.

Open:

March until October, Wednesday to Sunday and bank holidays, 10am to 5pm;

Winter on Wednesdays and Sundays only from 11am to 4pm (send sae for diary of special events).

Contact Details:

Reeds Road,
Tilford,
Farnham,
Surrey,
GU10 2DL.

Tel: 01252 795571 (Fax: 01252 795571)

Website: www.rural-life.org.uk/